The RIF’s Sponsorships Programme promotes the Foundation’s strategic goal of nurturing a Culture of Research and Innovation (R&I) in the ecosystem and the wider public through actions that support R&I, including skills development.
The target of the Program is twofold. On the one hand, the aim is to support entities for the organisation of high-quality events with significant impact, with a central theme that aims to promote research, technological and innovation to the general public.
On the other hand, through the support of the participation of groups of students in International Competitions, the following are pursued:
(a) encouragement of interaction and engagement with science, research, technological development and innovation;
(b) enhancement of efforts to successfully participate in activities promoting extroversion and contributing to the visibility of their activities and Cyprus internationally, and
(c) contribution, in the long run, to nurturing a culture of research and innovation in society at large and in particular in the younger generation.
Beneficiaries: An application for sponsorship can be submitted by entities legally established and active in territories under the control of the Republic of Cyprus, in the EU, or any other state recognised by the Republic of Cyprus. The submission of applications by natural persons is not permitted.
The application must be about the organisation of an event that:
(a) has as its central theme the promotion of research, technological development and innovation, enhancing relevant actions of the RIF,
(b) aims to inform participants and raise public awareness regarding the importance and role of research, technological development and innovation, as well as to present relevant examples or achievements in a practical and comprehensive way,
(c) attracts a large audience, regardless of the target group (age, gender, etc.), and (d) will be implemented in the period from 01/09/2022 to 01/09/2023.
Each application may include a large number of activities that are part of a single event (eg. festival).
The same event or part of an event (including events within events) cannot be funded in the framework of two categories (Category A and B).
The organisation of the following events is not eligible for funding:
- scientific conferences, workshops, info days to present the results of research projects or other activities aimed at a specific audience,
- events that are not open to the public,
- award ceremonies for competitions or other activities (unless they are part of the overall event),
- events that have a similar objective and/or overlap with activities and/or events organised by the RIF, and
- events that receive funding for the same activities from projects funded by the RIF or the EU and/or other sources.
The Call covers two categories of events as follows:
Category A – Large Scale Events
Category A partially funds events with international reach mainly aiming at promoting research, technological development and innovation, enhancing relevant measures undertaken by RIF, promoting Cyprus as an R&I hub abroad.
Each event to be funded under Category A must:
- address an audience of more than 750 participants,
- have a total budget exceeding 000 Euro,
- have an international dimension and/or reach, aiming to attract participants and/or co-organisers from abroad,
- include, among others, important presence of distinguished speakers on R&I matters from Cyprus and abroad, as well as actions encouraging mobilization and networking among members of the Cyprus R&I ecosystem, bringing together local and international entities and enterprises and/or supporting the development of R&I skills.
- include in the event programme, to be submitted in advance:
- o Welcoming / keynote speech by the Chief Scientist for Research and Innovation of the Republic of Cyprus and / or a member of the RIF’s Board of Directors and / or the Director General of the RIF,
- o Panel discussion on a subject to be decided by the Chief Scientist / the RIF with a moderator and panel members to be defined by the Chief Scientist / the RIF.
- o A RIF kiosk on the premises where the event will be held, hosting two RIF staff members and 10 startups or other entities funded by the RIF.
The event may be supported by more than one sponsors. The RIF must be presented as a Premium sponsor, ensuring that its role is adequately promoted within the event’s media and communications plan, before, during and after the event.
Part of the event income may be a result of ticket sales. The organizer will have to provide ten (10) VIP tickets and ninety (90) regular tickets for RIF.
Events funded under Category A may receive up to 40.000 Euro in funding.
Category B – Medium Scale Events
Category B partially funds events with major reach mainly aiming at promoting research, technological development and innovation, enhancing relevant measures undertaken by RIF, and/or partially funds events contributing to the development of R&I skills, attracting audience from Cyprus including the local R&I ecosystem.
Each event to be funded under Category B must:
- address an audience of more than 200 participants,
- have a total budget exceeding 000 Euro,
- include, among others, important presence of distinguished speakers on R&I matters from Cyprus and abroad or in the case of events contributing to the development of R&I skills, to be part of a wider initiative organised in more than ten countries.
- include actions to mobilize the R&I ecosystem of Cyprus, encouraging networking and brining all local entities together.
- Include in the event programme, which must be submitted to RIF in advance:
o Welcoming / keynote speech by the Chief Scientist for Research and Innovation of the Republic of Cyprus and / or a member of the RIF’s Board of Directors and / or the Director General of the RIF,
o Panel discussion on a subject to be decided by the Chief Scientist / the RIF with a moderator and panel members to be defined by the Chief Scientist / the RIF or a RIF Info-Corner and/or session to present and promote the role of the RIF and its activities during the event.
The event must be presented as main sponsor and may include funded by other organisations and/or income resulting from ticket sales.
Organisers must ensure that the RIF’s role is adequately promoted within the event’s media and communications plan, before, during and after the event.
Events funded under Category Β may receive up to 10.000 Euro in funding