The Research and Innovation Foundation’s (RIF) series of measures to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects
Taking into account the current situation and the conditions created due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the need for a swift response to deal with its implications, the Research and Innovation Foundation (RIF) has implemented a series of targeted measures as follows:
- Launch of a series of Calls specifically targeting the COVID-19 pandemic
Proposals submitted in the following Programmes are expected to have immediate results regarding the treatment of the COVID-19 pandemic and its implications (prevention, diagnosis, treatment, treatment of social and economic implications, etc.):
- Proof of Concept for Technology / Knowhow Applications [CONCEPT/0618]:aiming at funding actions for exploring possible industrial applications of a specific technology/knowhow.
Eligibility: All entities
Available budget: €564,331
Deadline: December 18th, 2020
- Development of Internationally Competitive Innovative Products and Services from Start-Ups [SEED-COVID]: supporting the creation and initial development of innovative Start-ups that aim to develop innovative products and services with the prospect of penetrating into the international market.
Available budget: €1,000,000
Deadline: May 13th, 2020
- Development and Promotion of Internationally Competitive Innovative Products and Services by Existing Enterprises [INNOVATE-COVID]: supporting existing enterprises, that will invest in research and innovation, for the development of competitive innovative products or services with quick global market penetration prospects.
Eligibility: Existing enterprises
Available budget: €1,000,000
Deadline: May 13th, 2020
- Launch of a series of Calls (total budget: 13,81 million) in the framework of the RESTART 2016-2020 Work Programme
- INNOVATION VOUCHERS / ΚΟΥΠΟΝΙΑ ΚΑΙΝΟΤΟΜΙΑΣ
- HORIZON 2020 – 2nd OPPORTUNITY / ΟΡΙΖΟΝΤΑΣ 2020 – 2η ΕΥΚΑΙΡΙΑ
- INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION-DUAL TARGETING INTERNATIONAL/USA
- BILATERAL COLLABORATIONS/ ΔΙΑΚΡΑΤΙΚΕΣ ΣΥΝΕΡΓΑΣΙΕΣ
- EXCELLENCE HUBS / ΝΗΣΙΔΕΣ ΑΡΙΣΤΕΙΑΣ, και
- RESEARCH IN ENTERPRISES / ΕΡΕΥΝΑ ΣΤΙΣ ΕΠΙΧΕΙΡΗΣΕΙΣ
- Amendments to Current Calls for Proposals
The Calls for Proposals “Complementary Funding” and “Commercial Exploitation of Research Results Stage A” (for Enterprises and Research Organizations) are terminated taking into account the fact that on the one hand they constitute supplementary funding in the form of an incentive, without affecting the implementation of the European programs and on the other, due to low interest.
In addition, the RIF has proceeded to restrict its participation in Joint Programming Initiatives, Article 185 Initiatives and ERANET Cofunds by (a) reducing budgets allocated to open Calls, and (b) not participating in new Invitations until further notice. The following Calls are affected:
|Call Identifier||Revised Budget|
- Adaptation of the objectives of funded Projects to deal with COVID-19 and its wider implications
Flexibility is given to all Project Coordinators with funded RIF projects, to adapt their research work to address the COVID-19 pandemic and its implications (prevention, diagnosis, treatment, social and economic impact, etc.), provided that amendments are scientifically justified and overall relevant to the original objectives of the Project.
- Flexibility for facilitating the implementation of funded projects
To address the potential changes in the implementation of projects as a result of the measures announced by the Government for the treatment of COVID-19, the RIF will consider providing project implementation extensions and consider the eligibility for (a) Expenses arising from Travel Cancellation and / or other Activities, and (b) Personnel costs for the research team implementing the project.
Additionally, the RIF encourages Universities and Research Centres to provide open access to research infrastructures to stakeholders implementing research activities aiming to produce results to deal with the pandemic.
- Adapting the rules of participation regarding Natural Persons
The rule for participation included in the RESTART 2016-2020 Work Programme stating that “any natural person may participate in RESTART 2016-2020 projects with one legal entity at any given time” has been revised to allow for any natural person to participate in RESTART 2016-2020 projects with more than one legal entity.
- Extension of Deadlines for open Calls for Proposals
The deadlines for the Open Calls “Participation in International Brokerage Events” (B2B-Events / 0617), “Industrial Property” (INDUSTRIAL-PROPERTY / 0718) and “Encouragement of Project Coordination in Horizon 2020” are extended until December 18th, 2020, to allow sufficient time for use.
- Projects Funded by the “Horizon 2020” Programme
The National Contact Points for Horizon 2020 in Cyprus are at the disposal of the researchers to address issues related to the management of funded projects and provide information about amendments to the Calls for Proposals due to COVID-19 and its implications.
*The English version of the announcement, even though an official translation endorsed by the Research and Innovation Foundation, is provided for information purposes. Only the Greek version of the announcement is legally binding and shall prevail in case of any divergence in interpretation.